Re: [LAD] [ANN] LV2 beta3

From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 09 2007 - 19:50:21 EEST

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 12:44:22PM -0400, Thomas Vecchione wrote:

> While this makes perfect since in flexibility from a programmer
> perspective, I wonder how it will affect things from an end-user
> perspective, especially if LV2 becomes popular(Which many hope it would)...
>
> The end user will have some plugins that are 'LV2' that will work in
> some 'LV2' hosts but not others. How are they to know? Will they have
> to have 'LV2 and supports these features' that they will have to check
> off every time to see if it should be working or not?
>
> Or 'Profiles' that fit a certain set of features?

Hosts will be able to not ever list plugins they can't use, afaik.

I think it's likely that something one could call profiles will
crystallize, as plugins are made for more or less specific uses.
Many effect plugins make sense both in a DAW and a synth, but
sound generators like oscillators tend to not make sense in a DAW.
Synth plugins need hosts that deal with MIDI (well, perhaps OSC).

I mean there will be sets of needs that apply to plugins and hosts.

In the worst case we will need a table of what works where :)

--
Thorsten Wilms
Thorwil's Design for Free Software: