Re: [LAD] [ANN] LV2 beta3

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 12:24:55 EEST

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 07:51:53PM -0500, Jack O'Quin wrote:

> I'll play "dumb user" on this one...
>
> Are there useful sample rates that can be expressed more accurately
> with a pair of 32-bit integers than by a double?
>
> If so, programmers who don't care about the extra accuracy could
> presumably convert the ratio to a double in one line of code (at the
> cost of a single division operation). That does not seem excessive,
> assuming there are real-world examples where the extra accuracy
> would help. Are there any?

This is not a user level thing, but a technical and implementation one.
It's also not about absolute accuracy (most soundcards are up to 0.1%
off anaway), but relative. In all multirate processing I know of it's
the _ratios_ that have to be exact or things don't work at all. The only
way to ensure they are is to express all sample frequencies as ratios.
For normal use it doesn't matter, just set the denominator to one.

--
FA
Follie! Follie! Delirio vano è questo !