Re: [LAD] [ANN] LV2 beta3

From: Steve Harris <steve@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 18:05:17 EEST

On 10 May 2007, at 14:51, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 12:53:44PM +0200, torbenh@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>>
>> the problem will be rather: why has this plugin a GUI in ardour and
>> ingen and not in qtractor.
>>
>> while this other plugin has a gui in qtractor and non in ardour and
>> ingen.
>

> So how can the toolkit issue be adressed?
> Could there be something like GUI hosts to assist plugin hosts
> by running plugin GUIs that use another toolkit?
>
> What does DSSI do?

DSSI runs the plugin UI in a separate process with its own X
connection. It's not ideal, but it works OK. The biggest problem is
that it makes it trickier for the host to re-parent the UI - I don't
know if anyone's made that work.

However it's important not to let the perfect be the enemy of the
good. Having UIs at all is more important than subtle features that
some host would like to make things prettier / more convienient.

- Steve