Re: [LAD] [ANN] LV2 beta3

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 19:18:10 EEST

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 11:03 +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> And I don't think fons talks about extras like radio but things like smoother
> automation (controlling velocity in a smoother way)...
> He didn't even mention guis (which I concur is a bonus and a host not
> implementing graphics should still give access to the parameters via text).

As I said before, I'm personally a big fan of better control ports.
However the ones that are there are LADSPA equivalent, and porting both
hosts and plugins would be much more annoying if they were removed.

I look forward to having better control ports, but that is not something
that needs to go into LV2 itself; ports of any new type can be added.
Currently MIDI (which is hardly a niche feature for plugins in general)
is implemented as an extension as well - there's no downside to this.
Extensions are not "second class" in any way. We can designate popular
extensions as "official" extensions in the future, but this basically
just documentation and means nothing.

So yes, better controls will be nice, but it does not need to be in the
LV2 spec itself. This sort of incremental improvement by the community
is exactly what LV2 has been designed to support. We don't all /need/
to fight on the mailing list about these ports, because someone who
cares can just get on with doing it, and the problem can be
discussed/solved independently.

Right now we just need to make sure all these things are
possible, /then/ we can get on with making them happen.

-DR-