[LAD] The Linux On Yamaha's New XS

From: Janina Sajka <janina@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 25 2007 - 02:32:04 EEST

Has anyone seen source for it? I'm frankly tantalized. First of all, the
unit sounds very well. And, while the new display is apparently
colorful, it's still all text--I'm guessing ncurses or slang. Does
anyone know?

My interest and hope is to access display data over the builtin
ethernet tcp/ip connection in order to provide a speaking alternative
interface for blind musicians (like me). This seems emminently possible
except that Yamaha have locked all ports by default--I know, I nmap'd
it.

Still, they chose to build the XS using Linux. And they clearly have
chosen more f/oss tools, at least Samba is also clearly there judging by
the options available in the Network configuration menu.

So, how to gain access? How to get some small shell on board? I should
think the source is a place to start. It's clear they know they're under
the GPL here, because they publish it in Chapter 34 of the User Manual.
But the source ... ... ? ? ?

--
Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.202.595.7777;	sip:janina@email-addr-hidden
Chair, Open Accessibility	janina@email-addr-hidden