Re: [LAD] Yamaha XS - mlan included

From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 29 2007 - 19:44:52 EEST

On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 22:14 +0200, Pieter Palmers wrote:
> Arnold Krille wrote:

> I've looked into it, and it's a no-go. I think this is a driver for a
> mLAN ASIC they use.

Something like this perhaps?

http://www.mlancentral.com/
http://www.mlancentral.com/images/MY16-mLAN-home.jpg
The new MY16-mLAN interface card offers transfer of up to 16 channels of
digital audio plus MIDI data over a single IEEE1394-standard cable. This
mini YGDAI plug-in card brings mLAN compatibility to digital mixing
consoles 01V96, DM1000, 02R96, and DM2000. MORE
http://www.mlancentral.com/potm.php

There is a window of opportunity here to set a standard. Will Yamaha
grab it, or do they believe so much in their own supremacy so it will
fail under the weight of bureaucracy?

Also, what is Roland up to these days with USB 2.0?

On a user level it would be an advantage if they would produce something
that has a near identical specification to mLAN, so that we can just
plug in the stuff and connect without worrying too much about the
underlying protocols. I notice that Roland these days are also getting
heavily into video and FX with their pro-gear, but still, it should be
possible to present the audio as a seperate, well-defined entity.