Re: [LAD] simulating analog audio devices

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Fri Jun 01 2007 - 12:18:47 EEST

Pieter Palmers wrote:

> All spices I use (although this excludes ngspice)

Last time I looked ngspice was the same code base as the others, so
I assume no difference.

> have an option to
> force them to calculate the response at specified timesteps (along with
> the ones they need for accuracy). In this case it seems obvious to set
> this timestep to 1/Fsample. Then use only the values at these timesteps.
> This is way better than interpolation because the differential equations
> are actually solved at these points.

That would be true except for one factor, the input signal that Robin
is trying to simulate is analogue. In addition, the Foxx fuzzbox that
Robin is trying to simulate is a non-linear device.

The problems you get when doing a discrete time simulation of non-linear
processes are mitigated as the sample rate is increased. Therefore, the
higher the sample rate the better.

Erik