Re: [LAD] simulating analog audio devices part II

From: porl sheean <porl42@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 19 2007 - 13:51:58 EEST

thanks for the links!
the ax84 one is really good, pretty much exactly what i was after - short
and to the point (i don't mind a bit of complex math as long as it is
explained why i am doing it :)
i've looked through a few old valve books (
http://www.pmillett.com/technical_books_online.htm is an awesome site) but
it was hard to find certain info.

i should probably have told you that i am making a guitar amp that i want to
sound dirty (not heavy metal distortion, but old overdriven blues sound). i
was only talking about a 4k primary because i'm pretty sure that is what the
OT that i gutted from my fender hotrod (a bit high rated for this project
but i can't afford to buy much at the moment). i have tried the same tactic
with PTs of old amps off ebay (the fender one doesn't have a 5V output and i
want to use a tube rectifier), but even the small one i realised is
375-0-375 for the primary! i think this is a *little* over what i need, so i
am going to have to buy a new PT. i can't figure out how the old amp used
this voltage: it was only a p/p el34 amp (2 output tubes). how would it have
brought the voltage down enough to not kill the valves? maybe el34s can
handle a lot but i didn't think the preamp tubes could.

anyway, sorry about how off topic this is. i should probably take my
questions elsewhere.

porl