Re: [LAD] FULL audio-signal path

From: Steve Harris <steve@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 22 2007 - 11:45:11 EEST

On 21 Jul 2007, at 13:56, Dan Mills wrote:

>> And more generally: are there common rules for keeping sound
>> quality intact? I mean
>> only format-related probable issues rather hardware issues like
>> jitter and such.
>
> Be very careful how you write float->int conversions (it is not
> trivial), and work in floating point as far as is possible, there is
> little reason (other then marketing) to move to doubles (IIR filters
> possibly excepted).

Well, I'd qualify that as there's no need to use doubles between
modules, there are many DSP processes that work better in double if
you can afford the extra memory bandwidth. Filters are one.

It's generally not doubles in the audio path though, but its things
that you're using to modify it, coefficients, phase accumulators and
so on.

- Steve