Re: [LAD] new lossless/lossy audio compressor

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Thu Jul 26 2007 - 16:28:11 EEST

Forest Bond wrote:

> > "There is no reason why anyone would want a computer in their home"
> > Ken Olson, DEC, 1977
>
> Why is it ironic to see those statements right next to each other? ;)

Err, because its not?:-)

> (Not looking to open a can of worms; I know they are not equivalent due to the
> relatively constant limitations on the human ear's perception of dynamic range.
> Just saying ... :)

Funny you should say that, but I actually had a discussion with a fellow
who seriously suggested that 64 bit integers should probably considered
as an option for storing audio data.

When it was explained to him how seriously huge the dynamic range of
64 bits actually is, he dropped the idea.

Erik