Re: [LAD] Ardour session archiver (Was: new lossless/lossy audio compressor)

From: Gregory Alan Hildstrom <hildstromoo@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 01 2007 - 20:45:59 EEST

I got 32-bit true lossless j2kaudio transcoding working today. I compared it against wavpack and
wavpack seems far superior in terms of speed and compression for 32-bit floating point data. I
created the test files with audacity, which only uses float values from +1 to -1, so I am not sure
if it actually uses the full 32-bits, but it is still good enough for a meaningful test.

Here are the compressed size % for the worst case that I tested:
32bWN.wav 44.1kHz/32b/10ch
60sec 10 channels of white noise
105840152B
j2kaudio 91.06
wavpack 82.32
tar czf (gzip) 92.29
tar cjf (bz2) 93.24

The full test tables are here:
http://geocities.com/hildstrom/projects/j2kaudio/

Are there any wav/audio programs out there that use the full float range of 3.4e+/-38? It seems to
me that this larger range would use more of the 32 bits.

Thanks. -Greg