Re: [LAD] Embedded linux board

From: Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 20 2007 - 20:24:52 EEST

On Monday 20 August 2007, Steve Harris wrote:

> > I did a bit more research and barring the size of the board I'd say
> > something like the Epia 5000
> > http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?
> > motherboard_id=21
> > should be a very good choice. Not too complex to finish, onboard
> > audio,fanless and such. Even a pci slot ;). Quite cheap, around €90.
> > No idea how capable the soundcard is, but I believe it's tested in
> > low latency situations atleast?
>
> I think the ones I worked with might have been EPIA 10000s (1GHz VIA
> C3), and I did run JACK on them for kicks. I think it worked but I
> don't remember how it was though, and I didn't test the card on any
> decent monitors. The onboard sound is generic AC-97 stuff. Some of
> the models have slow CPUs and very slow FPUs, so beware of those.
>
> I was using them for an audio-less video installation, so the testing
> was just for curiosity.

I think i'll stick with the board i originally posted the link to [even if it
doesn't work well enough i have only wasted 50 euros which isn't that much]..
I will attach a USB audio interface for testing purposes and if the
performance is sufficient for me, i'll look into attaching an audio codec to
its ISP bus.

BTW: i don't need jack to run.. I'm not even sure it can run at all on that
board. All i need will be a single application which will feed audio into
LADSPA plugins.. Jack would be overkill..

Regards,
Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!