[LAD] Re: Linux-audio-dev Digest, Vol 7, Issue 19

From: Maitland Vaughan-Turner <maitlandvt@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 25 2007 - 07:59:22 EEST

Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com> sez:

> Jussi Laako wrote:
>
> > In some cases, direct DSP processing of the DSD stream would be
> > feasible.
>
> Really?
>
> Current CPUs are designed to work on integer or float samples. They
> are not designed to work on single bits. Attempting to do simgle bit
> processing on regular CPUs will be slow.

yeah, well it's time we rethink the way CPUs work anyway. It looks
like to me that we are running into the ceiling as far as Moore's law
goes. How about a generic, digitally controlled analog ALU as a
coprocessor for non-critical operations? (like real-time audio
processing). That could be fast... (no throwing rocks, please ;)

> That means the only sensible place to do DSD processing efficiently
> is in silicon; either FPGAs or ASICs.

ooo, I've been meaning to get one of those! Can you (or anyone) point
me toward a FOSS-friendly FPGA?

~Maitland