Re: [LAD] Re: Direct Stream Digital / Pulse Density Modulation musing/questions

From: Bearcat M. Sandor <HomeTheater@email-addr-hidden-soul.com>
Date: Tue Sep 25 2007 - 19:50:48 EEST

On Tuesday 25 September 2007 in an email titled "Re: [LAD] Re: Direct Stream
Digital / Pulse Density Modulation musing/questions" Fons Adriaensen wrote:

>If you have ever been involved in organising a controlled listening
>test you should know how easy it is to get completely invalid results
>and to fool yourself into believing things that are just an illusion.

When i went down my local (ok, only) studio to have some LPs transferred to CD
the studio owner and i were talking about this very subject. He told me that
one day he bought a new mixer to replace his aging one. He set it next to
his old one and got it ready. The phone rang. He spent the next few hours
experimenting with it, and was happy with the differences it made in the
sound he was trying to achieve. However, he had forgotten to turn it on.

I'm sure this isn't the only such story out there. If a person can fool
themselves into believing that such a piece of equipment is even functioning,
how much difference can it make? As a matter of fact, i think he returned
the mixer and stuck with his old one.

Bearcat M. Sandor, music lover/audiophile