Re: [LAD] Re: Direct Stream Digital / Pulse Density Modulation musing/questions

From: Frank Smith <frsmith@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 14:06:50 EEST

Hi Paul
I to have used mains cable on my Live rig 2.5mm for the subs and ran some tests.
No one has ever managed to hear a difference, just be aware of the
distances, saying that I run 2.5 all over the houses I do at over 18
meters carrying 32 amps.

I've also fallen for the must pay more for my cables!!!!!

Nice one

Bob
wavesound

On 25/09/2007, Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 11:20:34PM +0100, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 19:31 +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> >
> > > A nice variation on this theme occured years ago at an AES conference.
> > > The speaker wanted to demonstrate that 'digital' sound was crap, by
> > > using the familiar 'push down the extended arm' test. Test persons
> > > listening to analog sound could easily resist, while they lost all
> > > force when listening to a digital recording.
> > >
> > > What the speaker didn't know was that the PA system used to play the
> > > tracks was fully digital...
> >
> > I once helped prepare the equipment for a double-blind test of speaker
> > cables. All the golden-eared audophiles picked out one cable as being
> > far superior to the others, with better clarity and definition in the
> > upper harmonics and tighter more defined bass or some such bollocks.
>
> Interesting. Were they tested individually or as a group?
>
> If individually, that would seem to suggest that they actually could
> hear a difference between cables, and that your lawnmower cable really
> did sound better to them.
>
> What gauge cord was it? :-)
>
> If tested as a group, I wouldn't trust the results at all... group
> psychology could account for a lot ("I hear it too!" "Me too!")
>
> --
>
> Paul Winkler
> http://www.slinkp.com

Am 'I' blind with no 'I'