Re: [LAD] Re: Direct Stream Digital / Pulse Density

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Fri Sep 28 2007 - 07:06:41 EEST

Maitland Vaughan-Turner wrote:

> This hits near something I was wondering: Wouldn't it be pretty easy
> to do lossless compression on a DSD stream. Since it's only one bit,
> It seems like you could use simple run-length encoding to achieve
> pretty good results.

I pretty sure you are wrong here. Yes, RLE would probably work pretty
well on the DSD encoded version of a digitally generated sine wave.

However, on real analogue inputs there is sure to be a lot of very low
level noise which will result in very short run lengths.

Also be aware that all (neglecting ancient stuff like A-law, u-law and
IDPCM) recent audio codecs doe their encoding in the frequency domain
where it is easier to find redundancy than in the time domain.

Erik