Re: [LAD] [OT] bash vs disk activity

From: Ross Vandegrift <ross@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 09 2007 - 14:30:35 EEST

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 05:50:12PM +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> For example if I transfer 200mb to a usb disk the copy command takes
> about 30 seconds before it returns and the data takes about 5 minutes
> before it is actually finished being transferred and the device is
> unmountable.
>
> How would I track the 5 minutes of data transfer with bash?

There's not a super-easy way since that data is being written in the
background out of the buffer-cache. You could use iostat and vmstat
for this purpose, but it kinda seems like overkill to me.

"iostat -x" gives you detailed I/O statistics on each partition
"vmstat" gives you information on various VM data, including buffers

My idea would just be to umount the disk and wait until that returns.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross@email-addr-hidden