Re: [LAD] [OT] bash vs disk activity

From: Ross Vandegrift <ross@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2007 - 20:42:22 EEST

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 06:58:40PM +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Does anyone have a script for monitoring with iostat or vmstat while in
> async mode?
>
> I'm thinking a bash equivalent to the disk monitor on gkrellm which
> allows me to know when a transfer has completed.

Something like this will return when five seconds have passed with
no write requests being issues to the device sda:

CURRENT=$(cat /proc/diskstats | grep sda\ | awk '{ print $8 }')
LAST=0
while true; do
        LAST=CURRENT
        sleep 5
        CURRENT=$(cat /proc/diskstats | grep sda\ | awk '{ print $8 }')
        if [ "$LAST" == "$CURRENT" ]; then
                break
        fi
done

/proc/diskstats lists a few things. For complete devices (ie,
/dev/sda instead of /dev/sda1), it lists:

Field 1 -- # of reads issued
Field 2 -- # of reads merged, field 6 -- # of writes merged
Field 3 -- # of sectors read
Field 4 -- # of milliseconds spent reading
Field 5 -- # of writes completed
Field 7 -- # of sectors written
Field 8 -- # of milliseconds spent writing
Field 9 -- # of I/Os currently in progress
Field 10 -- # of milliseconds spent doing I/Os
Field 11 -- weighted # of milliseconds spent doing I/Os

Where field n is the nth field after the device name.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross@email-addr-hidden