Re: [LAD] Detecting one sample within another

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 03 2007 - 22:45:05 EET

On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 15:03 -0500, Patrick Marchwiak wrote:
> Given a sample clip, I would like to be able to find in another audio
> file a part that sounds similar to the clip. So for example, given a
> cymbal sample, I would like to be able to find a part of an audio file
> that sounds similar to a cymbal.

similar in its temporal characteristics (attack/decay/sustain) ?
similar in its absolute time domain values?
similar in its spectral characteristics?

if you want just "what sounds like means to a human", you'd have to
consider all 3 of these, and the first one in both the time domain and
spectral domain.

--p