Re: [LAD] [OT] questions re: cross-compiling

From: David Olofson <david@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 15 2007 - 15:23:11 EET

On Thursday 15 November 2007, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> Simple questions, probably no simple answers :
>
> Can I compile Audacity for Windows using a Linux tool-chain ?

Yes, that's how I made the Win32 binaries for Kobo Deluxe, DT-42 etc.

Some libraries (depending on build tools, mostly) may need some "help"
to install in the cross-compiler environment, but widely used cross
platform libs (SDL, GTK+ etc) usually cross-compile out of the box
and/or come with pre-built packages for cross-compiling.

Before considering building a cross compiler of your own (which is not
terribly hard these days, but still), check what's available for
cross-compiling on your distro! The Linux->Win32 case is a rather
popular one, but some distros have cross compiler packages for other
target platforms as well.

[...]
> If I can't compile it directly in Linux can I do it in Wine ? If
> so, how ?

That should work too, but doesn't seem to make much sense if you're
already running the "home" platform of the GNU tools. :-)

> And last:
>
> If I can only do it native Windows, what do I need in the way of
> compiler etc. ?

Cygwin is probably the easiest way to get started with that, whether
you're using Wine or Windows:
        http://www.cygwin.com/

.------- http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples -------.
| http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine |