Re: [LAD] "enhanced event port" LV2 extension proposal

From: David Olofson <david@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 29 2007 - 03:00:04 EET

On Thursday 29 November 2007, Dave Robillard wrote:
[...]
> Same with LV2 ports; works perfectly for port types. Problem is,
> sticking a URI in each /event/ is far too bloated/slow.

That's why I'm using a Port as the smallest "connection unit", much
like LADSPA ports, so there is no need for an event type field of any
kind at all, let alone a URI.

The data in the events *could* be MIDI or whatever (the host doesn't
even have to understand any of it), but normally, in the case of
Audiality 2, it'll be modular synth style ramped control events. That
is, one port controls exactly one value - just like in LADSPA, only
using timestamped events with ramping info instead of one value per
buffer.

Extensibility is a non-issue on this level. What you do if you want
more stuff is just grab another URI for a new event based protocol,
and you get to start over with a fresh event struct to use in
whatever way you like. (In fact, as it is, the host doesn't even have
to know you'll be using events. It just provides a LIFO pool of
events for any plugins that might need it.)

.------- http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples -------.
| http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine |
| http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine |
| http://eel.olofson.net - Real time scripting |