Re: [LAD] "enhanced event port" LV2 extension proposal

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 01 2007 - 21:03:17 EET

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 11:10 +0000, Krzysztof Foltman wrote:
> Dave Robillard wrote:
>
> > MIDI. In short: don't rock the boat; all this Jack/LV2 MIDI stuff is
> > still getting off the ground...
>
> Well, I see your point. Again, I'll start worrying (or defining
> extensions) when it'll be necessary.
>
> Don't you think that there should be a sort of "extension TODO list"? As
> you see, I already have certain things in mind, and so do others.

If you really think it would make a difference to compile a list of what
people have in mind, go nuts.

> That's right. On the other hand, sometimes extension designed by some
> guy and then adopted because there was nothing better available, limits
> growth of the scene/market (there's enough resistance to a change to
> prevent better standards from being adopted).

True, but these things are generally discussed on the list anyway (as
they are right now). If that does happen, you can just make something
better.

Generally, host authors won't support things they think are
stupid/short-sighted/whatever, so the problem takes care of itself for
the most part.

> Maybe all it lacks is a set of well-thought-out well-defined extensions
> to start things up?
>
> Or maybe the "invisible hand of the scene" will sort things out by itself.

You speak as if these two things are different, somehow? :) The
invisible hand of the scene created all this...

Quite a bit of thought has gone into hypothetical extensions to make
sure the core spec is sound, but the complete independence of extensions
from the core spec is a fundamentally good thing. Everything LV2 should
be tackled in terms of the smallest sub-problems possible (hence e.g. my
oppositing to cramming event definitions into the generic event
transport stuff).

Read the archives of this list (or, even better, the GMPI one..) enough
and it's pretty clear that's the only way we can actually get things
done 'round here... and, hey, because of it we're getting things done
around here right now. We have working plugins, MIDI, dynamic
parameters, OSC, toolkit agnostic embeddable GUIs; we're soon getting
generic extensible events, control ramps, message-based stuff.... GMPI
has a few years worth of pointless bickering and arguing on a mailing
list archive somewhere. QED. Love or hate all this "extensible" talk
and RDF stuff, the proof is in the pudding.

I love it when things work out. :)

-DR-