Re: [LAD] "enhanced event port" LV2 extension proposal

From: David Olofson <david@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 01 2007 - 23:19:33 EET

On Saturday 01 December 2007, Dave Robillard wrote:
[...non audio time timestamps...]
> All I ask for is a few measley bits :) That I can point to widely
> accepted standards (one of which is very, very close in domain to
> this event stuff) that use timestamps of this sort is telling..

Sure, I have no problem with that. I just don't want to make sure
we're not confusing this with types of event communication that just
doesn't fit in the model of this particular event system. I mean,
it's kind of pointless to pollute *this* event system with features
that you need a completely separate LV2 extension to actually
use. :-) (Well, unless that other LV2 extension can use this one as a
transport layer in some sensible way, maybe.)

> Anyway, making the frames part 16 bits screws up parity with Jack
> MIDI. We already have a uint32_t frame timestamp. We want
> fractional, so stick a fractional part in there, voila. The host
> just sets the fractional part to 0 from Jack, things can use the
> fractional bit (or not) as they please.
>
> Simple.

Yes, that makes sense to me. It seems like the general case (even when
making use of sub-sample timing) favors separate integer and
fractional parts, and then, why not just use an int for each?

.------- http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples -------.
| http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine |
| http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine |
| http://eel.olofson.net - Real time scripting |