Re: [LAD] "enhanced event port" LV2 extension proposal

From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 06 2007 - 00:46:42 EET

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 17:35 +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:

> All of MIDI can be reduced to two messages: set-control (addressed by
> Channel, Voice and Controller ID) .. and SYSEX - for data-dumps.

What you say is of course a true statement, but it is ignoring what the
founding fathers of MIDI attempted to accomplish regarding efficiency on
a bandwith limited connection and the likelyhood of certain messages
appearing more oftenly than others ,,,

Example: I play for you a D-minor chord. You would then tell me that
this was excactly three messages (as per above.) You'd be wrong!

This old DX7 will send a continuous stream of one-byte channel-pressure
messages reflecting how I am leaning backwards or forwards. From a
sequencer I could potentially send - as a wave at 3K samplerate - the
message "Hello? This is Linux and I pronounce it as Linux!", and have it
play back in an almost intelligible manner.

(I am well aware that this little secret seems to have gone way over the
head of management at famous hardware vendors in many cases.)