Re: [LAD] Rubber Band v1.0 - an audio time-stretching and pitch-shifting library and utility

From: Tim Goetze <tim@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 14 2007 - 11:01:04 EET

[Chris Cannam]

>On Monday 10 December 2007 23:36, Tim Goetze wrote:
>> Unfortunately it also has to be noted that after the onset, the
>> voice body in rubberband's output is not sounding quite as good as
>> with 'stretch' -- there's a faint chorus/aliasing effect, not very
>> strong but irritating.
>
>You may find you prefer it with the --no-peaklock option, or even
>with --crispness 5.

Indeed, the chorus/aliasing effect is as good as gone with
--no-peaklock, but the vocals begin to suffer from periodic amplitude
modulation (tremolo). The effect even becomes a bit stronger with
--crispness 5.

>I perhaps foolishly didn't include a standard crispness option that only
>does the equivalent of --no-peaklock, because that wasn't preferred to
>any of the alternatives for the examples in my informal blind listening
>tests. (Instead the default settings tone down the amount of peak
>locking gradually as the stretch ratio increases.)

At what stretching/compressing ratios have you run your tests, and
with what kind of source material? While the code is certainly doing
quite fine, I have a feeling that my 2x test runs could be a bit out
of line with the intended kind of use.

Tim