Re: [LAD] Summercode 2008: LASH, pt. 3

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 14:30:36 EET

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 08:22:20PM +0200, Juuso Alasuutari wrote:

> 1) Switch to using the JACK D-Bus interface for lashd<->jackd communication.

Paul D. has already replied to this...

> 2) Add a D-Bus control interface to LASH, which is supposed to
> eventually replace the current liblash server interface API.

> 3) Change the liblash client interface's internals to use D-Bus for
> communication with lashd.

I fail the see the advantage of D-Bus over e.g. OSC via UDP or TCP.
Last time I looked at the lash sources, the protocol was really
just one small step away from OSC - it would have taken an hour
or two to do the conversion.

Other consideration: any form of session management for the
systems I'm using would have to be at least a two-layer affair.

There is a first layer of 'system' apss talking to jack and
creating a working environment - this is all monitoring and
rendering stuff.

The second level is user sessions, also consisting of several
apps talking to jack. They *use* this existing environment but
should not be allowed to modify it.

For anything like lash to be useful here it would need to support
this layering.

--
FA
Parma, Italia