[LAD] Adding support to hdspmixer for RME's AES32 and MADI

From: Reuben Martin <reuben.m@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 15 2008 - 05:32:55 EET

Hello all,

A few days ago I asked Paul Davis what he knew concerning the AES32
and using the hdspmixer tool to access it's matrix. Currently it
doesn't support it, and given that I haven't been able to contact
anybody who developes hdspmixer or the AES32 driver, he was the only
one who I could find who could at least answer any questions. The
basic answer was "there isn't anybody to fix it for you." :P

So, I've spent the last two days messing with the hdspmixer code and
have confirmed my initial assumption that I have no idea what the hell
I'm doing. I started by trying to fix it so that the hdspmixer would
support cards from both the hdsp and hdspm drivers. I'm sure it could
be done, but the drivers code has diverged enough that it makes it
more work than I really want to do. So I yanked out all code that is
specific to hdsp and made it so that it will compile against the hdspm
code. Basically it's a version of hdspmixer for the AES32 and MADI
cards. (I'm not sure how the channel mapping in MADI works out, so
that's not in it yet)

The good news is that it will compile. The bad news is that it
immediately segfaults. And gdb doesn't really tell me anything useful,
but then again I really don't know how to use it.

Therefor I'm shamelessly soliciting any help that I can get. I really
want to be able to use the AES32, but I'm starting to get in over my
head. The hdspm driver is a bit silly without a functional matrix
mixer for it. I can send the code to anybody who would be willing to
give advice, give me code fixes, fill in the missing bits for MADI,
take over the project, or just provide more confirmation that I really
don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Oh, and as a little bonus I discovered that the hdspm driver only has
a dummy typedef for hdspm_peak_rms_t (as well as a few other
functions) so there is no code for input_peaks, output_peaks,
input_rms, playback_peaks or playback_rms. :P

-Reuben