Re: [LAD] LADSPA plugin behavior and naming, and more general questions

From: Sean Bolton <musound@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 15 2008 - 17:45:57 EEST

On Apr 14, 2008, at 7:33 PM, Justin Smith wrote:
> Also, now that GMPI seems all but officially dead, does anyone
> think DSSI will be supplanted (or "disposed of", as its name would
> imply)? What is the general developer feeling regarding LADSPA/DSSI/
> LV2? I leave VST out of this list, because I don't think Linux
> distros can even legally distribute vst.h.

'General developer feeling' -- I guess that includes me. DSSI, LV2,
and VST-on-linux will only advance to the extent that developers have
passion, time, and skills to expend on them. Only time will tell how
that will play out. I only really pay attention to softsynth
development, but right now, not much seems to being happening with
either DSSI or LV2, and a lot is happening with VST in spite of the
licensing issue. That's just my perspective at the moment --
someone could announce a kick-ass DSSI or LV2 synth tomorrow.

If I were to win the lottery tomorrow (thus providing the missing
'time' element for my own development efforts), I'd continue to work
on an update to DSSI, incorporating some lessons learned from DSSI
(keep it simple) and LV2 (Keep It Simple), and adding some missing
things like MIDI controller mapping and transport/tempo sync. Then
I'd do a more-ass-kicking second version of WhySynth.

Best,

-Sean