Re: [LAD] vectorization

From: Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 20 2008 - 17:37:39 EEST

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 00:44 +0300, Jussi Laako wrote:
> Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> > engine.o.586 # plain C, runs everywhere but probably pretty terrible
> > engine.o.sse # vectorized but has some kludges
> > engine.o.sse2 # vectorized and no kludges, works for AMD, recomended!
> >
> > The pre-install script then looks in /proc/cpuinfo and decides which
> > engine to rename to engine.o, links the objects in a jiffy, strips the
> > binary and continues installation.
>
> I believe the implementation jack has, to dynamically select suitable
> versions of some functions at runtime is nicer... ;)

Which is also what Ardour does. This allows distribution packagers to
package binaries which will work on basically any x86 system, but which
use the extremely important optimizations when SSE is available at
runtime.

(just nitpicking: we don't read /proc/cpuinfo, but access the CPU flags
via asm as in the x86 specification)

  Sampo