Re: [LAD] lo_server_thread_new pause

From: James McDermott <jamesmichaelmcdermott@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 01 2008 - 12:32:35 EEST

Hi Dave,

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Dave Griffiths <dave@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I think this is a network setup user error rather than anything
> complicated, but anyone know why I get long pauses (5-10secs) when
> calling lo_server_thread_new for the first time in a process?

I ran into this problem recently too, and I'd love to hear a solution.

There was discussion quite a while ago on the DSSI list about GUIs
being very slow to appear, and lo_server_thread_new was *part* of the
problem. There were suggestions of a network misconfiguration (eg
mistakenly bypassing /etc/hosts and going to the nameserver) and a
possible fix (commenting out the IPv6-style getnameinfo() call in
liblo's src/server.c). This fix works for me, and that suggests that I
have a network configuration problem too.

It might be worth a look:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=20050629170524.GA16327%40charly

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=20050709121152.GA16451%40charly

James