Re: [LAD] [EPAMP] an effect plugin API for media players: anyone interested?

From: Georg Holzmann <grh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 02 2008 - 17:11:18 EEST

Hallo!

>>> Of course, if something is missing in EPAMP, that requires a new
>>> version... and that's why I'm trying to talk with them already.
>> Using plugins in media players is brain dead idea, but if they want that
>> they have quite a lot of possibilities anyway. Using LV2 plugins through
>> helper library like slv2 is really easy.
>
> So, how many media players have that or are going to do that? I guess
> numbers are not on your side. :-\

I think that's a good point, but IMHO the solution is not to just invent
the next plugin standard.
Everything you need can be done with LV2 plugins, although you might
need a new extension.
However, if we wish that many media players will support an effect
plugin API, then an easy to use library must be implemented and well
distributed, which supports all needed lv2 extensions you want, so that
writing an LV2 hosts becomes a really easy thing.

So I appreciate very much your attempt for creating a common, easy to
use API. However, IMHO the answer should be to extended and distribute
LV2 so that it supports all your needs - then all efforts would be
combined ...

> Think about it, if an host supports 5.1 output and stereo input, it
> really should know how to do conversion without relying on external
> plugins, or am I missing something?

Well, there exist many methods for spatialization (you could also think
about ambisonic and other techniques) - it's not likely that a simple
media player will implement all of them ...

LG
Georg