Re: [LAD] [EPAMP] an effect plugin API for media players: anyone interested?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 02 2008 - 17:26:07 EEST

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 03:51:45PM +0200, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:

> > OK, I'm playing a stereo file on my 5.1 setup and want a plugin
> > to add some ambience using all speakers. That's 2 in, 6 out,
> > and nothing special I'd say.
>
> Now, if I undestood it correctly, it was about adding some ambience to
> 5.1 sound, not just converting to 5.1.

Using the additional speakers for ambience is one way to do the
conversion. What will your host do ? Just add 4 empty channels ?
Is the plugin supposed to know it gets silence on these channels ?
Will your host add 20 empty channels to the input of the plugin
that converts a signal from an .amb file to my 24-speaker setup ?

> Think about it, if an host supports 5.1 output and stereo input, it
> really should know how to do conversion without relying on external
> plugins, or am I missing something?

Yes. If a host can do all that it needs no plugins. But I see no
point in continuing this.

Ciao,

--
FA