Re: [LAD] starting out with tux audio

From: James McDermott <jamesmichaelmcdermott@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 13 2008 - 11:45:01 EEST

Hi AlgoMantra,

Everyone always answers these questions by saying "no you don't want
to do that, you want to do...". I'm going to have to do that too,
sorry!

I don't know much about /dev/dsp and though you're right, it is
possible, just about nobody uses it that way.

Instead I'd recommend you look at some LADSPA plugins
(http://www.ladspa.org/). There are some very simple ones which give
good examples of how to do DSP in plain C. The big advantage of this
approach is that whatever synths you write you'll be able to integrate
them with existing synths, effects, and hosts, which isn't possible if
you use /dev/dsp.

Good luck,
jmmcd

--