Re: [LAD] [OT] vector drawing software

From: Pau Arumí <parumi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 19:37:48 EEST

On dc, 2008-07-30 at 15:25 +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 10:00:28PM +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> > Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> >
> > > * Inkscape. After two hours of trying I still can't draw a simple
> > > rectangle. It gets filled (in blue) and all attempts to change
> > > that have failed.
> >
> > Draw the rectangle (it will be blue), then go to the Object
> > menu and choose Fill and Stroke. In the Fill pane, wind the
> > Alpha down to zero. In the Stroke Paint pane chose the second
> > box Flat Color.
> >
> > You should now have a black rectangle, without any fill colour
> > on a white background.
>

> That works. Any way to make that the default ?
>
> Effective linewidths are quite different from what
> is set in that dialog.
>
> Other problems: prints PDF but only full page, i.e.
> again not usable to insert into latex.

It works flawlessly here. My latex compile script does this

$ inkscape <source-svg> --without-gui --export-eps=<target-eps>
$ epstopdf <source-eps> -o=<target-pdf>

And it generates a pdf that perfectly fits the drawn area.

I thought that the direct svg->pdf command (inkscape <source-svg> --without-gui --export-pdf=<target-pdf>) also behaved this way but probably not. And perhaps this is why I'm using the two steps method.