Re: [LAD] embedded high end audio

From: Dan Mills <dmills@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 03:50:15 EEST

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 20:21 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:

> Heh, this might be crazy enough to work, with O_DIRECT|O_SYNC and
> exclusive access to the raw block device.
> Heck, I've seen embedded audio devices that implement PCM as a stream
> of MIDI messages ;-)
>
> Wouldn't recommend it if your time has any value, but it would be a neat hack.

I was not planning on using the VFS layer, but thinking about it,
mmap /dev/sdc does have amusing possibilities....

playing a .raw file with a call to sendto.....

It was the physical layer interface that interested me, fairly quick,
well documented, parallel, and unlike the pci bus, the state machine is
fairly simple.

It actually feels a lot simpler then some of the approaches using
conventional soundcard chipsets.