Re: [LAD] embedded high end audio

From: Stephen Sinclair <radarsat1@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 17:18:26 EEST

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 2:06 AM, porl sheean <porl42@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> i thought maybe i would give a brief description of what i would like
> to achieve in the end so someone may have a better idea as to how to
> go about it.
>
> my basic idea is to have a network of small devices that essentially
> have audio inputs and/or outputs (mainly just stereo, but i can
> imagine larger ones such as 8 in/out as well) and a network adaptor
> which each connect to a main multi in/out device (or just a computer i
> suppose) and synchronise to one clock source somehow. i have ideas as
> to how interfaces for naming/assigning inputs/outputs etc should work,
> but i am unsure as to the feasibility of the hardware of the devices
> themselves. rather than getting someone to design a full custom
> solution, i would like to be able to build on as much oss as possible.
> netjack (at least the early versions of netjackmp) looks perfect, but
> i'm unsure how the synchronisation etc would work. my resources are
> extremely limited, but i really think i have some good ideas as to how
> these things should work (user interface wise etc) and hope it is
> possible.

One thing that comes to mind is the small gumstix modules.
It may be a more expensive solution than you have in mind, but the
advantage is that you get a *tiny* little computer pre-loaded with
Linux. Add the audiostix attachment and you get stereo audio in/out.
Or the roboaudio, which has an on-board Atmega, will give you some
10-bit analog inputs for sensors.

But yeah, it's about $100 to $150 for the motherboard and $40 for the
audiostix expander, so this might be out of your price range. Also
add a few more $$ for the ethernet module. Anyways, worth looking
into. I've played with them a bit for a sensor interface, and it was
lots of fun, and way easier than building it myself. Never got around
to trying the audio side of things.

Steve