Re: [LAD] [OT] vector drawing software

From: Justin Smith <noisesmith@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 07 2008 - 20:58:33 EEST

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 5:42 PM, nescivi <nescivi@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 July 2008 09:05:46 Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>> Anyone knows a good vector drawing program for Linux ?
>>
>> Absolute requirements are:
>>
>> - Lines, arrows, boxes, circles, etc.
>> - Linewidths and styles, colors, filling.
>> - Text
>> - PDF or PS export.
>> - PNG and JPEG import (no bitmap editing required).
>> - Accuracy.
>>
>> I've been using TGIF for years, but I'm more and
>> more being blocked by its main flaw which is that
>> it seems to use a unit of 0.2mm internally (in
>> metric mode) which is orders of magnitude too big.
>>
>> Tried QCAD and INKSCAPE, both fail basic
>> requirements (and have other problems).
>
> Did you look at PythonCAD?
> I did some technical drawings with that...
>
> And... when you need to have things in Latex eventually... pstricks helped me
> out for my dissertation making mathematical drawings. You have to type all
> your lines and so on, but I found that much faster than trying to draw
> something in a graphical environment.
>
> There are also some tools to make an eps from a ps, so that it is not full
> page size anymore... ps2eps or something like that...
>

> Actually, I am looking for some 3D software for drawing 3D structures.
> Eventual output format needed is STL...
>
> sincerely,
> Marije

http://www.ualberta.ca/~cwant/blender/stl.py is a plugin to export STL
from blender, which is a great environment for modeling 3d, once you
get over the learning curve.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro is a good
wikibook tutorial, that happens to cover modeling in the first hundred
pages or so of the beginner volume.