Re: [LAD] need help with Java audio problem

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 16 2008 - 05:12:02 EEST

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> re: default Java audio device
>
> BTW, maybe you like to know that Gervill, the java free synthesizer has
> released the magic 1.0 number. GPLv2 licensed:
>
> https://gervill.dev.java.net/
>
> This project is proposed as the Audio Synthesis Engine that would be used in
> the GPL java runtime, replacing the old proprietary one. It is a wave table
> synthesizer supporting the standards: DLS2, SoundFont2 and also audio files
> as sound banks. It is worth to try. A MIDI file player is included. A few
> quick tips:
>
> $ unzip gervill-1.0.zip
> $ cd gervill/bin
> $ java -Xmx256M simplemidiplayer.SimpleMidiPlayer
>
> (the -Xmx256M argument gives 256 Mb to the player, enough to load a big, good
> soundfont like General User 1.4 by Chris Collins.)

Nice. I built it with no trouble, it worked perfectly with all of the
available devices (default, Delta 66, SBLive, and Java Sound Audio Engine).

> Maybe you can start trying some basic program, like the SimpleAudioPlayer
> http://www.jsresources.org/examples/SimpleAudioPlayer.html
>
> copy the source code to a file named "SimpleAudioPlayer.java", or download the
> examples from SF, http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=11738
>
> compile it with the command:
> $ javac SimpleAudioPlayer.java
> Run the class with:
> $ java SimpleAudioPlayer yourfile.wav
>
> If it works, your java sound is working. If not, maybe there is some error
> message giving a clue.

It doesn't produce sound. It plays as though nothing is wrong, stops on
time, and delivers no error message. Btw, I added ~/.asoundrc to define
the default ALSA device, it didn't make any difference. :(

Thanks for your assistance, and I'm open to further suggestions. :)

Best,

dp