Re: [LAD] joining the fun...

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Mon Aug 25 2008 - 10:33:46 EEST

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> However I am slightly concerned at the closed
> attitude that I was presented with by people I have worked with for over
> ten years and found in general to be quite open minded about ideas that
> may or may not be mainstream.

I suggest that many of these people would show just as closed an attitude
towards "Creation Science" and "Intelligent Design". They would of course
be justified because like some of the stuff you brought up, it is just
plain bad science that should be given short shrift by anyone with
any worthwhile level of science education.

Funnily enough, the only places where stupidity like "Intelligent Design"
and "Free Energy" gets any foothold is countries like the US where
science education has been in decline for decades due to the influence
of religious fundamentalists.

> One of the biggest problems that inventors of so called “Free” as in
> beer energy in the past has been bringing the technology or concept to
> market. There are several cases of gifted inventors and engineers who
> had very credible technology that provided energy at a fraction of the
> cost and greatly increased efficiency of currently widely used
> technologies who were killed, bought off or shutdown and their
> inventions and breakthroughs destroyed or locked away from the public.

I call bullshit.

All great ideas are a product of their time with numerous other people
around the world being on the cusp of coming up with the same idea at
the same time. The first to publish usually (but not always) gets their
name on it.

The consipracy you suggest might work against someone inside the US,
but could not possibly have worked in China or the USSR/Russia. Do
you really think that the US would have been able to suppress this
information in China or Russia?

> In this modern day and age with the whole world connected via internet
> and mobile phone we see amazing speed of information dissemination.

We also see a huge proliferation of psuedo-science, conspiracy theories,
religious bullshit and porn. So what?

Now it really is time to STFU on this issue on this list.

Erik