Re: [LAD] Wireless Electricity vs audio quality

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 25 2008 - 11:57:58 EEST

Reading "concerns about audio quality" and "intel" in one mail sure raised
some interest here. Selling worse audio quality as the new high-definition is
probably one of their biggest successes.

Am Montag, 25. August 2008 schrieb Erik de Castro Lopo:
> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> > After the latest Intel announcment that they are indeed working
> > seriously on wireless electricity uses resonance to transmit hte energy
> > sources I am wondering if anyone has ideas on whether that would affect
> > audio quality as resonance is an important part of the ambience of live
> > sound.
> Wireless energy transfer:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer
> is acheived using electromagnetic resonant induction.
> The resonance of live sound is acoustic resonance:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_resonance
> Since these two forms of resonance use different mechanisms
> (electromagnetic waves vs sound waves in air) they do not cross
> couple, hence there is zero chance for interference between them.

Well, there _could_ be some interference as the air around you contains some
water (called humidity). It could be possible that the electromagnetic waves
(a) heat up the water making the room you are in warmer (same principle as
the microwave) or (b) the water molecules move as they are electrical
dipoles. And moving molecules in the gas-phase are exactly what
sound/acoustic is...
But that is only a _very fast_ assumption without looking at the
aforementioned technology of intel.

> The possibility of interference in electrical/computer audio
> equipment (which use electromagnetics) and the wireless electricity
> transfer (which also uses electomagnetic waves) deserves far more
> concern.

True! And don't forget the fact that others might pick up your energy and use
it without paying.

Arnold

--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/