Re: [LAD] [somewhat OT] semaphores in python

From: Dominic Sacré <dominic.sacre@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 27 2008 - 00:02:37 EEST

On Tuesday 26 August 2008 22:01:18 Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> AFAICS, for this reason, whatever happens in threading
> can't be correct, or at least not pre-emption and SMP
> safe.

Is this really an issue in Python? The Python interpreter is not thread safe
anyway, there's a global interpreter lock that must be held by any thread
accessing Python objects.
Depending on what you're trying to do, this might be one of Python's biggest
disadvantages, but as far as I can see, you don't need to worry about "true"
concurrency, simply because it can't happen.

Dominic