Re: [LAD] patchage

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 04 2008 - 11:26:34 EEST

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 10:06:10AM +0200, _ langagemachine wrote:

> Just a hint at how this is done in an other patching environment
> (Plogue Bidule):

Patchage looks a bit like PB actually...

> holding down 'Ctrl' key while connecting two ports will also connect
> as many adjacent ports as possible.

'As many adjacent ports as possible' would be *completely*
counterproductive here and even dangerous. I would definitely
*not* use any app that can do this unless it can be permanently
disabled.

Such behaviour could be useful if it is limited to iteration
over the last component of a structured port name.

I will start using structured port names in all new releases
and new software, using two styles, e.g.

  aaa/bbb/c_1
  aaa/bbb/c_2
  aaa/bbb/c_3
  aaa/bbb/c_4

if you would expect each port to be usable separately, or

  aaa/bbb.W
  aaa/bbb.X
  aaa/bbb.Y
  aaa/bbb.Z

otherwise, for example for an Ambisonic set. In the latter
case I'd expect the connection manager app to present these
four ports as one, and only allow connection to a similar set.
It should still be possible to expand such a 'structured port'
into its components, but only if requested manually.

Ciao,

--
FA
Parma, Italia