Re: [LAD] jack_capture

From: Fred Gleason <fredg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 16 2008 - 21:09:36 EEST

On Tuesday 16 September 2008 01:54:53 pm Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> Can you clarify this? Do you think wav>2ch is
> less supported than wavex>2ch? I'm not going
> to set default format based on ideological reasons.

I think it's a question of specification. With the original RIFF/WAVE format,
at channels>2, elements of the data layout (specifically, the sample packing
in the 'data' chunk) were explicitly declared to be undefined (essentially
meaning, left up to the implementor), whereas in WAVE-EX they are explicitly
defined. Thus, you have a much better chance of achieving successful
inter-operability for channels>2 with WAVE-EX.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Chief Developer |
| | Paravel Systems |
| beta test, v: |
| To voluntarily entrust one's data, one's livelihood and one's |
| sanity to hardware or software intended to destroy all three. |
| In earlier days, virgins were often selected to beta test |
| volcanoes. |