[LAD] ipc reliability

From: Patrick Stinson <patrickstinson.lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 08:53:54 EEST

I have embedded python as a midi scripting language in my audio
thread, and need to migrate the calls to libpython to a new process
per each audio thread to avoid acquiring python's the global
interpreter lock (GIL). Does anyone know what the theoretical
reliability of basic memory-based IPC mechanisms are like with respect
to realtime audio threads? Will I be causing even bigger performance
problems with just the IPC overhead to make some function calls, or is
it negligible?

Thanks