Re: [LAD] Specification issues in open systems

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 27 2008 - 18:39:06 EEST

On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 14:04 +0100, yikyak wrote:
> The following is a cross-post of an exchange that took
> place on the rosegarden-devel mailing list. I'm posting
> it here because I think it hints at something fairly
> serious with the current state of open audio specifications
> and issues with their implementation.

I don't have anything particularly useful to add to this discussion, but
I do want to note that I could trawl back through my archives from the
vst-plugins list and dig up at least a half dozen examples of similar
behaviour differences between hosts in that world. Every time, the
plugin authors have to detect which host they are running under and
alter their behaviour. Nobody likes it and occasionally a host author
modifies their software to be more like the rest of the bunch. I don't
think your issue is with "open audio specifications", its with "API
specifications in tiny little application niches". Good luck with
resolving the issue. We'll use it if and when Ardour supports DSSI :)

--p