Re: [LAD] Guide to Linux Sound APIs

From: David Cournapeau <cournape@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 28 2008 - 15:21:03 EEST

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 4:38 PM, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 16:04 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
>>
>> So it does not look like pulseaudio is that great if you want to
>> support various linux and have very little needs for audio.
>
> As Lennart tried to make reasonably clear, the primary goal of
> PulseAudio is NOT to act as a new API, but to act as a new
> *infrastructure* that supports existing APIs transparently.

I got that, but you missed the context of the discussion: both victor
and me were talking about the API. Victor mentioned pulseaudio API as
an easy one, and I expressed my concern about availability of
pulseaudio in my case (extremely limited audio needs, but available on
many distributions, potentially quite old).

cheers,

David