Re: [LAD] Specification issues in open systems

From: Darren Landrum <darren.landrum@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 28 2008 - 18:23:30 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:
> It might suprise you that I probably agree with this point even more
> than you do :) JACK exists primarily because there was not a suitable
> plugin API on linux and because several of us felt it unlikely that
> there ever would be one. The biggest obstacle of all was the
> still-unsolved issue of GUI toolkit compatibility. Its remarkable and
> cool that JACK works as well as it does, and the isolation it provides
> between processes can be handy. But yeah, if we had had a single GUI
> toolkit and a decent plugin API ... no JACK would have emerged,
> probably.

Wasn't JACK based at least loosely upon the same concepts as CoreAudio?
I seem to remember something about that some time ago.

Myself, I'm watching and participating quite eagerly in this
conversation, because I would like to write a plug-in or two (or three)
and I still don't know what API (JACK, LV2, etc.) I want to focus my
energy on. Chances are, I'll be able to choose only one.

-- Darren