Re: [LAD] Something like Processing for audio

From: Darren Landrum <darren.landrum@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 28 2008 - 22:15:00 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:
> Processing has wrapped a language with a lot *less* power than
> SuperCollider in a front end that is much easier to learn. Its a shame.
> But it also seems to be way the world works.

So we would rather have a *more* powerful language wrapped in a front
end that is very difficult to learn? We already have that in spades, and
it's proven a good way to scare off people with good ideas who are not
skilled in coding enough (or patient enough) to get the most basic tasks
to work.

What we need is a nice and powerful back-end that is wrapped in an
easy-to-learn front end. The best of both worlds, if it's possible.

My entire point is to design a C++ framework and resultant editor with
only a very specific problem domain in mind: software effects,
synthesis, and perhaps sampling as well. Then abstract everything that's
needed into classes and functions that are well-documented.

I seem to recall you saying once, Paul, that nobody was writing the
Native Instruments type of plug-ins for Linux audio. That statement is
the very thing that got me down this path. It made me wonder what kind
of code frameworks and libraries NI inevitably has created to use
internally, and hoping we could make the same thing, open it all up, and
then see some very powerful synthesizers and effects come out of it.

Everyone on this list seems to think these are all completely solved
problems, and I disagree, with a great deal of passion. What happened to
the days when we were all pumped up with enthusiasm, determined to take
the world of professional audio by storm?

Of course, this also in part gets back to the "small, interoperating
apps" vs. "large monolithic apps" argument, and I don't intend to go
back down that road. We're already well down the first path, but even
then, I still don't see why we can't create the kinds of programs that
can match and even outclass what's available in the "desktop home
studio" space on Windows and Mac.

Geez, the election year must be getting to me. I'm beginning to sound
like a politician.

Oh well, these are my raw and naked thoughts and feelings, and I'll
leave them exposed for all to see and comment and criticize. I really
don't care if they get stomped on or not.

-- Darren Landrum