Re: [LAD] Guide to Linux Sound APIs

From: Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 29 2008 - 17:06:30 EEST

That was not my experience. I put together a pulseaudio IO module
for Csound using the simple API (pulse/simple.h) in about half an hour.
It seemed much simpler than any alternative. And it seemed to do
everything I needed from it.

Victor

At 13:59 29/09/2008, you wrote:
>On Sun, 28.09.08 09:38, Paul Davis (paul@email-addr-hidden) wrote:
>
> > > Also, I guess it depends on how you upgrade, because my workstation is
> > > 8.04, which is upgraded every year or so for 2 years and a half now,
> > > and I don't have pulseaudio. One of the package I wan't to add sound
> > > support for is for science mostly, and many people are still using
> > > Ubuntu Dapper, Fedora 3, etc...
> > >
> > > So it does not look like pulseaudio is that great if you want to
> > > support various linux and have very little needs for audio.
> >
> > As Lennart tried to make reasonably clear, the primary goal of
> > PulseAudio is NOT to act as a new API, but to act as a new
> > *infrastructure* that supports existing APIs transparently.
> > I am sure that he would be happy if it eventually takes over the world
> > and everybody writes apps using its API, but that doesn't appear to be
> > the goal right now.
>
>The reason why I don't ask application developers at this time to
>adopt the native PA API is that it is a relatively complex API since
>all calls are asynchronous. It's comprehensive and not redundant, but
>simply too complex for everyone but the most experienced.
>
>Lennart
>
>--
>Lennart Poettering Red Hat, Inc.
>lennart [at] poettering [dot] net ICQ# 11060553
>http://0pointer.net/lennart/ GnuPG 0x1A015CC4

Victor Lazzarini
Music Technology Laboratory
Music Department
National University of Ireland, Maynooth