Re: [LAD] Guide to Linux Sound APIs

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 30 2008 - 18:19:13 EEST

On Tuesday 30 September 2008, Wolfgang Woehl wrote:
>Gene Heskett:
>> Fix that, so there is a working dialog path back from the user to
>> the developer, and maybe it can be made to work. As it is, the
>> documentation on it is non-existent, and we the users feel like
>> we're battling with M$, a generally futile endeavor, and that is
>> gonna lead to a lot of profanity & name calling. This is after
>> all, linux, where choice is a talking point.
>
>Hi Gene, I think that the complaint should be aimed at distributions,
>really. If they choose to ship foo they should make sure it works.
>Which they tend to do to some (large) extent.

In the case of Fedora, no, the buck stops there, and I'm made to be the
bad-ass. It looks to me as if they are deliberately shielding the
developers, or maybe they are locked in a closet off the lunch room living on
scraps?

I dunno. What I did come away with was that I was on my own, and that PA
simply ignored the 8 line stanza in my modprobe.conf that makes it all Just
Work when PA is prevented from screwing with things.

Without any meaningful docs on how to go about configuring it, if indeed it is
configurable, the easiest thing to do is remove as much of it as possible
without nukeing kde itself.

>In the past all of us had to realize that the minute we wanted to
>deviate from what a distribution considered to be a "standard system"
>(like in your case 2 sound devices) we were pretty much on our own.

Yes, that is a given. But in order to do this intelligently, there must be
docs of the 'this does that effect' in existence. Apparently there are none
or URL's would have been offered.

>I might add that the ensuing research is only sometimes painful. Usually
>it is just a hell of a ride, isn't it :)

Sometimes it can be quite educational in which case people like me become the
help desk others are looking for, and I do that where I can. Other times,
and PA is a heck of a good example, it is frustrating to the point of saying
to hell with it.

>So I think there is a huge demand for more and better integration on
>the distribution side, for user tools to make not-so-standard stuff
>just work as well. Which is A Lot Of Work, right? We'll get there,
>slowly, I'm sure.

Probably, and at about the same pace as NM moves, which is glacial. Dumbassed
typo's fixing takes a year to make it from patch submission to distro
included. That, when it effects 90% of the users, should be a week. Max.

>Wolfgang

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Get forgiveness now -- tomorrow you may no longer feel guilty.